In this edition of Utah Thrives, Utah Foundation President Peter Reichard talks with Julianne Holt-Lunstad, Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience at Brigham Young University; Mark Rapaport, CEO of the Huntsman Mental Health Institute at University of Utah School of Medicine; and Doug Thomas, Director of the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health for the State of Utah.
The conversation is excerpted from a recent Utah Foundation Breakfast Briefing sponsored by the Garbett Family Foundation.
Among the questions the group addresses:
- How does pandemic-era mental health in Utah compare to the nation’s?
- How is the increasing use of technology affecting our mental health?
- What is telehealth doing for mental health care?
- Is the mainstreaming of marijuana use bringing new mental health dangers?
- How do we ensure that students remain connected to higher education institutions?
- How do we expand the pool of mental health professionals?
- How do we reduce cost barriers to mental health?