Is the Middle Missing? A Guide to Expanding Options for Utah Homebuyers and Renters
“Missing Middle Housing” refers to housing that occupies the “middle” ground between large-lot, single-family homes and large apartment complexes. It offers the potential to increase the supply of housing, but at a scale that is less objectionable to most neighbors and with strong design quality that can improve upon neighborhoods.
Below you can find an executive summary and four main reports outlining the major research on middle housing. We also include a variety of resources related to the project.
Utah Foundation Resources
Utah Thrives Podcasts
- Exploring One Answer to Housing Challenges
- The Evolution of Housing Development in Utah
- Local Ground Rules and the Missing Middle
- Utah’s housing numbers draw a double-take
- Can Utah bring in new housing types without ruffling feathers?
- How communities can change the playbook to expand housing options
Map and Zoning Analysis
Salt Lake County
Wasatch Front Regional Council
Form-Based Codes Institute
Middle Housing Videos