Priority 9. Homelessness & Poverty
A new issue making its way to the top ten in 2012 was poverty. This year, in response to increased comments about homelessness, the concern was renamed homelessness and poverty. In the open-response survey, 6% of Utahns identified homelessness and/or poverty as the greatest issue facing Utah. Of these respondents, 84% specifically mentioned homelessness while the remaining 16% mentioned poverty. Most respondents did not articulate a particular problem related to homelessness. The few who did, mentioned annoyance with panhandling or a desire for greater efforts to aid the homeless. Only one respondent mentioned increasing the minimum wage to assist with poverty, while others did not elaborate.
Homelessness & Poverty Position in Utah Priorities
Briefs, Reports, and Blogs
Also, feel free to glance through some of our older reports and blogs about homelessness and poverty.
- Climbing Toward the American Dream: A Second Analysis of Economic Mobility in Utah
- Utah Priorities 2012, Issue #9: Poverty
- United Way of Salt Lake Community Assessment 2010
- Moving up the Economic Ladder: An Analysis of Economic Mobility in Utah
- United Way of Salt Lake Priority Area and Capacity Assessment
- Going for Broke: Utah’s Alarming Bankruptcy Problem
- Utah’s Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): How Well Are We Doing?
- Welfare in Utah: What Programs are Available and How Have Federal Reforms Affected Them?